KUALA LUMPUR, April 3 (Bernama) -- The burden of victims of the fire incident in Putra Heights, Selangor was eased a little through various assistance and services provided for free by various government departments and agencies, the private sector and non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
One of them, the Transport Ministry, through the Road Transport Department, took the initiative to open a mobile counter at the Putra Heights Mosque temporary relief centre, near here.
Transport Minister Anthony Loke said the counter, opened today and tomorrow, would enable victims to replace documents issued by JPJ, which were destroyed or lost in the fire incident, without a police report and the replacement process would be completed promptly.
Loke said his department is also making efforts to hold joint talks with relevant parties to sponsor the presentation of free motorcycles to more than the 70 victims involved.
On Tuesday (April 1), Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim also announced immediate aid of RM5,000 to owners of homes that were completely destroyed and RM2,500 for over 100 owners of homes that were partially destroyed.
Deputy Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Shamsul Anuar Nasarah said the National Registration Department (JPN) has mobilised the services of Bas Mekar and the mobile counter to facilitate the replacement of identification documents (IDs) of the fire victims.
The Immigration Department has also said that victims whose passports were lost or damaged in the fire could apply for a replacement at any nearby immigration office for free.
Even the Ministry of Higher Education (KPT) has taken proactive measures by providing specialists, mobile clinics and a contribution of RM2,000 that will be credited directly into the accounts of the affected students.
Meanwhile, CIMB, Bank Islam, Etiqa and Bank Muamalat Malaysia Berhad (Bank Muamalat) had previously announced aid to the affected victims, which included waiving charges and fees for late payments for those affected and deferring monthly instalments.
Car sales company Carro also agreed to provide 30 vehicles for temporary use by victims of the fire incident.
In addition, Berjaya Corporation Bhd founder Tan Sri Vincent Tan today pledged RM3,000 in financial aid for each affected family.
NGOs, including the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, have also offered assistance to rescue pets of fire victims and provide them with free treatment.
Meanwhile, Selangor Health director Dr Ummi Kalthom Shamsudin said only one victim from the Putra Heights fire on Tuesday is still receiving treatment at a hospital in the state.
She said the patient is being treated in the intensive care unit at Ampang Hospital.
The massive fire, which broke out at 8.10 am on Tuesday (April 1), saw flames soaring high, producing intense heat and debris that destroyed rows of houses as well as property, including more than 300 vehicles.
-- BERNAMA
BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.
Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial